If you have achy joints, muscle pains, cramping, cold hands and feet – a quick and easy solution is to make a rice heating pad. It’s a great option to help provide warmth and comfort. You’ll only need a few common household items to make your very own rice heating pad.
Here’s a list of items that you’ll need to get started:
- 4-6 Cups of uncooked rice
- 1 Long Sock
- Essential oil (Scent of your choosing. Eucalyptus and Lavender are great!)
- Decorative Ribbon (Optional)
Instructions in four simple steps:
- Fill your long sock with the uncooked rice.
- Make sure the rice is getting all the way down to the bottom of the sock.
- Tie off the other end of the sock by twisting and knotting the sock or with the decorative ribbon if chosen. When it has been filled – and you are done!
- Add essential oil drops directly onto the sock AFTER the heating pad is heated.
Microwave only for 30 seconds. Check the temperature and if too warm to touch allow the pad to sit until the desired temperature is reached. If it is not warm enough after 30 seconds warm for 10 second intervals until the pad has reached the desired temperature
Brittany Wagner, Practice Manager, ElderHealth
I’ve worked in behavioral health, hospice, and palliative medicine for over seven years. In that time I found my passion supporting older adults and their caregivers during that critical time in their lives. At ElderHealth, everything is client-centered and I enjoy having relationships with our patients and their families.
I love the idea of using an essential oil, I need to try that next time!